Proposal to form a Virtual Operations Support Team for the UK
VOST is an idea that is emerging in the USA and other places. A team of trusted volunteers agrees to monitor online traffic in an emergency and provide reports to the emergency services. They might also undertake other online tasks like sharing public safety messages.
This project aims to develop a model of VOST that works for the UK, that “Category One Responders”* can feel confident in, and that is able to add value to emergency response in the UK.
Where are we now?
So far we have a good idea and a small group of volunteers.
It seems that a sensible direction would be:
- continue to recruit volunteers
- reach out to bodies at a national level so that we can develop processes that they feel comfortable with
- reach out to local Category One Responders* so that we can develop local teams that meet their needs
- develop some model of governance for VOST UK
How can you help?
Have a look at our page on getting involved.
* Category One Responders are the oranisations in Great Britain (slightly different set up in Northern Ireland) that have the shared responsibility to deal with emergencies. They are the emergency services, local authorities, NHS bodies and a couple of other organisations like the Environment Agency